How to Cook the Perfect Steak with Smoky Bacon Butter
- by Omaha Steaks
Want to know the secrets to the perfect steak? You don’t have to spend $50 or more a plate at a fancy restaurant to experience a drool-worthy and amazing steak dinner. It’s easy to reproduce steakhouse quality dining at home with these steak and cooking tips.
The secret to a tender steak is in the aging process. We’ve mastered the art of beef aging with a 21-day minimum aging process in very controlled conditions. This allows the enzymes naturally in the meat to break down the muscle tissue, creating an improved texture and more intense flavor. Our exclusive Private Reserve steak is aged a full 28-days for maximum tenderness.
Select your Perfect Steak
Do you prefer mild-flavor, fork-tender cuts of steak, like our signature filet mignon, or the rich, buttery beef flavor in our ribeyes? Selecting the steak cut that matches your personal preferences will enhance your experience. Use our ultimate steak cut guide to choose your favorite steak.
View this post on Instagram
Season the Steak
For the perfect steak, you need a little seasoning, but don’t overdo it. Simple ground black pepper and sea salt is sufficient seasoning or try our Signature Seasoning for the perfect chef-inspired blend to season your steak. Adding a dollop of compound butter after the steak is cooked is a steakhouse secret that will enhance the natural flavors of the beef (more on this below.)
Cook the Perfect Steak
Master steak cooking and never overcook a steak again with our steak grilling guide or guide to cooking steak indoors. Make sure to download the Omaha Steaks app and use the steak timer for perfectly cooked steak every time.
Add a Compound Butter
Butter on steak? The resounding answer is YES! You won’t believe the richness and flavor butter adds to your favorite steak. Compound butters –butter mixed with delicious seasonings and ingredients – taste great and are easy to make. Simply mix up the ingredients in butter and store in the fridge… then place a pat on top of your favorite cooked steak for amazing results!
Try our smoky bacon, chive, and shallot butter (recipe below) for a steakhouse experience at home. The smoky bacon in this recipe adds richness to your steak creating a melt in your mouth, drool-worthy steak. It’s true – everything is better with bacon. Try this recipe on your favorite steak today and taste the difference.
You can also use one of these 4 compound butter recipes on your steak. Compound butter can be used for more than just steak. They are great on toast, rolls, chicken or seafood. Whip up this smoky bacon, chive and shallot butter and experience the difference for yourself.
Smoky Bacon, Chive & Shallot Butter
- 4 ounces Bacon coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Unsalted butter (2 sticks) 1/2 cup cut into pieces, 1/2 cup room temperature
- 1 small Shallot minced
- 3 Tbsp Chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a small Sauté pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned and crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer bacon to a small bowl.
- Add butter pieces to drippings, cook stirring often until butter foams and browns 5-8 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a medium sized bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, stir in chopped shallot.
- Allow bacon fat/butter mixture to cool 30 minutes or until room temperature.
- Add room temperature butter to bacon fat mixture. Using hand mixer or stand mixer beat until light and fluffy. Add chives, vinegar and reserved bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place butter mixture in refrigerator and allow to firm slightly.
- Butter can be made up to 3 days in advance. Pull 1 hour prior to serving to allow butter to soften.