How to Get Your Kids to Eat Meat
- by Omaha Steaks
Kids are funny about food. This week she only eats grapes, next week she won’t touch a fruit. Last year he was obsessed with chicken nuggets, this year it’s cookies or bust. How do you get these fickle kiddos to eat a balanced diet? One that includes vegetables, vitamins, and — our favorite — meat?
We can’t necessarily help you move that broccoli you’re pushing, but our Omaha Steaks experts do have a few helpful tips about feeding kids high-quality protein.
Keep it Mild
It might seem counter-intuitive to feed little one’s expensive steak, but kids LOVE Filet Mignon. The naturally mild flavor and high tenderness of this special steak is perfect for young palates, and the smaller size of filet makes the portions just right. Pick up some Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon on sale, go easy on the seasoning, and watch them enjoy their first steak.
Franks are Fun
Kids are more likely to love hot dogs than nearly any other meat — that’s just a fact. But that doesn’t mean you have to feed them junk, or that it has to be boring for you. Go with high-quality franks like our Gourmet Jumbo Franks or Classic Beef Franks, and then try introducing bratwurst, kielbasa, Italian sausage and other, more flavorful, hot-dog-esque foods.
Use Your Freezer
When you’re busy with kids, cooking is hard. Cooking good proteins can be even harder — it can be messy, tough to prepare for, and they might not even like it. Use the power of your freezer! High-quality frozen meals are ready just when you need them, and offer well-rounded servings of meat, vegetables, carbs, etc. If you’re feeling a little more chef-y, flash-frozen poultry and beef offers high-quality protein and is ready when you are.
Fish? For kids? You’re kidding, me, right? But it’s possible! And worth it — fish is low fat, full of great nutrients, and easy to prepare. There are a few strategies that we’ve seen work.
- Start mild… the oilier a fish is, the “fishier” it will smell and taste. Try Cod or Halibut or Tilapia cooked simply for a mild, pleasant flavor that’s easy to love.
- Start sweet… battered fish and shellfish is popular with kids because, well, it’s fried! Battered shrimp or pub-style cod are many steps up from fish sticks but still offer that irresistible flavor.
- Start flavorful… If they don’t think they like fish, you can always cover it up. Something like Tortilla-Crusted Tilapia or a shrimp fried rice is a good way to get familiar flavors on kids plates along with a little sneaky seafood.
Omaha Steaks Slow Cooker Meals
Kids love anything you make in the slow cooker! Big flavors in a big bowl, eaten with a big spoon. Omaha Steaks Slow Cooker Meals make it easier on you, and come with a HUGE serving of meat for each person.
- The Top 5 Ways to De-Stress Back to School Dinnertime
- Top 8 Omaha Steaks Comfort Food Meals
- 12 Easy & Delicious Meals Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in November 2020 for freshness and comprehensiveness.