French Onion Filet Mignon Burger Recipe
- by Chef David Rose
- Apr 28, 2022
Why We Love This Filet Mignon Burger Recipe
This burger is comfort food on a bun. All the flavors of French onion soup – the herbs, the caramelized onions, and even the Gruyere cheese – served with a juicy pan-seared filet mignon burger on a toasted onion bun. It’s everything you crave in a burger and so much more.
Tools You’ll Need Before You Start
- Large Saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Small Bowl
- Large Saucepan with Lid
- Additional Pan
How to Cook the French Onion Burger
PureGround™ Filet Mignon Burgers are the king of burgers, made with 100% aged Omaha Steaks filet mignon. This super-juicy burger is ground from the most tender steak available by our master butchers into 1/3-pound-thick patties. When you start any recipe with filet mignon, you know it’s going to be a masterpiece. And this French onion burger recipe is no exception.
1. Caramelize the Onions
What’s a French onion burger without caramelized onions? Don’t reach for the bland canned versions when you can quickly whip up a homemade version with my secret ingredient: Bourbon. Yep, you heard right! These caramelized onions have out-of-this-world flavor with an exquisite blend of sweet and savory – a perfect complement to this epic burger.
Prepare your French onion topping while your burgers come to room temperature. Melt olive oil and butter, add onions, and sauté until caramelized. Add my secret ingredient, bourbon, and reduce. Finally, add beef stock and French onion recipe mix and reduce until it’s a sauce-like consistency. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare your burgers.
2. Season Burgers
Season your burgers with a simple blend of French onion recipe mix, salt, and pepper to enhance the decadent, mild flavor of PureGround™ Filet Mignon Burgers. Lightly press the seasoning into the burger for maximum coverage and flavor.
3. Get your Sear On
A nice, hard sear on your burger will add savory umami and juicy perfection. Bring a heavy-duty saucepan to medium-high heat, add vegetable oil, and brown burgers on one side, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip burgers, add French onions to each burger, and top with one or two slices of Gruyere cheese.
If you’d rather head outside, follow these instructions for cooking with cast iron on the grill.
4. Bring All the Flavors Together
Add half a cup beef broth, place lid on pan, and let your burger cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked to your desired doneness. This will add savory juiciness to your filet mignon burger, ensuring every bite is bursting with delectable flavor.
5. Build Your Burger!
Give this recipe an extra kick with toasted onion hamburger buns. Just spread 1 tablespoon of mayo on each side of the bun and toast 30-45 seconds in a hot pan for the perfectly toasted hamburger bun. Then place your French onion burger on your toasted bun and get ready to experience the ultimate comfort food burger.
If you’re a burger lover, learn what makes our PureGround™ Gourmet Burgers, made with 100% single-origin beef, so exquisite and delicious!
French Onion Filet Mignon Burger
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced razor-thin
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Knorr French Onion Recipe Mix
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Filet Mignon Burgers
- 4 teaspoons Knorr French Onion Recipe Mix
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, divided into 4 slices
- 2 onion hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 oz. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- In a large saucepan, melt olive oil and butter; add onions and sauté until caramelized, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add bourbon and reduce until almost dry, about 2minutes.
- Add beef stock and French onion recipe mix and simmer until reduced by 2/3 volume and thickened to sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Remove burgers from fridge and allow to come to come room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together French onion mix and salt and pepper until well-incorporated; season burgers liberally on both sides, pressing seasoning lightly into burger.
- In a heavy-duty saucepan with a lid, bring to medium-high heat, add vegetable oil, and cook burgers on one side until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip burgers, add 1 heaping spoonful of French onions to each burger, and top with 1 to 2 slices of Gruyere cheese.
- Pour beef broth into saucepan, place lid on saucepan, and continue to cook burger about 4 to 5 minutes, until cheese melts and burger has cooked through to desired doneness.
- To toast buns, spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each side of bun and place in a separate pan; toast about 30 to 45 seconds until golden-brown.
- Place French onion burger between toasted buns.
Make a Better Burger
From classic, extra-juicy tastes to gourmet blends ground by real butchers and using aged-to-perfection Omaha Steak, you’ll find everything you want in a burger right here.