Gouda Cheeseburger with Smoky-Sweet Onion Mayo Recipe
- by Chef David Rose
- Last updated Apr 13, 2023
Is there a self-described food snob at your table who claims burgers will never be more than casual summer BBQ fare? Get ready to knock their socks – and tastebuds – off when you serve up this elevated and complex gouda cheeseburger with smoky-sweet onion mayo! This two-hander feast for the senses looks as impressive as it tastes and will convert even the most discerning palette into a burger fiend!
Why We Love This Burger Recipe
We love a good classic burger as much as the next guy, but there’s something undeniably appealing about a true craft burger experience – and this one delivers on every level. From the satisfying crunch of the combination of a lightly toasted bun, sweet bread and butter pickles, and mild red onion slices to a juicy burger crafted from steak trimmings and topped with gooey, nutty Gouda cheese – all surrounded by handmade creamy, smoky, sweet mayo – this burger is one for the record books (and your table!).
Tools You’ll Need Before You Start
- 1 Medium Saucepan Pan
- 1 Blender
- 1 Large Cast-Iron Pan
- 1 Large Pan
How to Make a Gouda Cheeseburger with Smoky-Sweet Onion Mayo
Don’t let the name of this recipe fool you, this isn’t an ordinary burger dish. Instead of using a standard burger crafted out of ground beef, we’re elevating this soon-to-be favorite with Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Sirloin Burgers – aka Steak on a Bun! An Omaha Steaks exclusive, PureGround™ Gourmet Burgers are crafted by our master butchers from a single cut of beef – in this case, our 30+-day aged Butcher’s Cut Top Sirloin – to create an unforgettable burger experience you won’t find anywhere else. Are you as hungry as we are? Let’s get cooking!
1. No Smoke and Mirrors – This Craft Mayo is All Flavor
Sure, you could put any ready-to-use condiment from your pantry on your burger, but if you want to achieve flavor perfection, this smoky-sweet onion mayo is worth the effort. To whip up this delicious spread, start by preheating a medium-sized saucepan to medium-high heat and then adding your healthy-fat canola oil, creamy butter, sweet onions, and earthy garlic. Sauté this mixture continuously before reducing to medium heat and continuing to cook for 10 minutes.
Once mixture is browned, caramelized, and translucent, remove it from the residual oil and add to your blender. First blend the mixture on its own until it’s finely minced, then add your slightly sour mayo, briny salt, umami-packed Worcestershire sauce, go-to barbeque sauce, nutty sherry vinegar, and spicy hot sauce. Next simply add a pinch of salt and pepper into this epic mixture and blend until it’s your ideal consistency, seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper.
2. Pan-Sear Ooey, Gooey, Gouda-ness
Now that your glorious mayo is ready, it’s time to prep the star of this show: your super-sized and Gouda-fied Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Sirloin Burgers. Once you’ve removed your perfectly thawed burgers from the fridge, allow them to come to room temperature, which should take about 20 minutes. Once ready, season them generously on both sides with Omaha Steaks Seasoning, which delivers a mouthwatering combination of dried garlic, onion, and savory spices to level-up this already off-the-charts burger!
Prep time is over: it’s time to pan-fry some deliciousness! First time pan-frying a burger? Don’t be intimidated – our helpful How to Pan-Fry Burgers guide will make an expert out of you! First bring your large cast-iron pan to medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add your prepped burgers and cook on one side for three to four minutes until browned. Then flip them, add one rich and caramelly Gouda slice to each, and continue to cook for another three to four minutes until the cheese melts, then remove from pan.
While your burgers rest and their juices redistribute, spread one tablespoon of plain mayo on each side of the buns and place them in a separate clean pan on medium-high heat, allowing them to toast for about 30 to 45 seconds until they reach golden-brown and crispy perfection.
3. Build Your Gouda Cheeseburger
Now it’s time to build your burger! Spread your handcrafted, jaw-dropping, smoky-sweet onion mayo on both sides of the toasted buns, add four to six onion slices and three pickles to the bottom bun, top with your Gouda cheeseburger, add your top bun, and dig in!
Gouda Cheeseburger with Smoky-Sweet Onion Mayo
Smoky-Sweet Onion Mayo
- 1/2 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 6 oz. Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Sirloin Burgers
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced rings
- Omaha Steaks Seasoning
- 4 potato burger buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 bread and butter pickles
- Smoky-sweet onion mayo, previously prepared
Smoky-Sweet Onion Mayo
- Preheat a medium-sized saucepan to medium-high heat and add oil, butter, onions, and garlic. Continuously sauté, then reduce to medium heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring onion mixture every minute or so until browned, caramelized, and translucent.
- Remove onion mixture from oil and place in a blender. Blend until finely minced, then add the rest of the ingredients. Pinch salt and pepper into blender until smooth and well-incorporated and season to taste.
- Remove burgers from refrigerator and allow to come to come room temperature – about 20 minutes. Season burgers on both sides with Omaha Steaks Seasoning.
- In a large cast-iron pan, bring to medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Cook burgers on one side until browned – about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip burgers, add a slice of Gouda cheese to each, and continue to cook another 3 to 4 mins until cheese melts. Once cooked to desired doneness, remove burgers from pan.
- To toast buns, spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each side of bun and place in a separate pan on medium-high heat, toasting about 30 to 45 seconds until golden brown.
- Assembly: Spread smoky-sweet onion mayo on both toasted buns. Place about 4 to 6 onion slices and 3 pickles on bottom bun, top with cheeseburger and then top bun.
More Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Burger Recipes from Chef Rose
From classic, extra-juicy tastes to gourmet blends ground by real butchers and using aged-to-perfection Omaha Steak, you’ll find everything you want in a burger right here.