The Que Burger Recipe
- by Chef David Rose
- Apr 21, 2022
Tired of the same old burger? Have a hankering for a barbeque classic? Love a two-hander meal that’s almost too big to sink your teeth into? Well, get ready for The Que burger: A fantastic recipe that delivers a mouthwatering barbeque experience in every bite!
Why We Love This Burger Recipe
When you combine the smoky, savory flavor and tender consistency of pulled pork with a burger made from 100% single-origin beef brisket, seasoned with a phenomenal dry rub, and topped with creamy and smooth cheddar cheese, what’s not to love?
Tools You’ll Need Before You Start
- Large Pot
- Large Saucepan
- Small Bowl
- Large Cast Iron Pan
- Additional Pan
How to Cook the Que Burger
Let’s be honest, when you’re preparing a recipe that includes two Omaha Steaks barbeque favorites, there’s no wrong way to cook it. The que burger takes the bold, inviting 6 oz. Omaha Steak PureGround™ Brisket Burger and tops it with 4 oz. of pre-cooked Omaha Steaks Smoked Pulled Pork that’s been brined, dry-rubbed, and slowly smoked with real hickory wood for a complex flavor profile that’s simply delicious.
1. Start With a BBQ Favorite
Omaha Steaks Smoked Pulled Pork may not be a secret ingredient, but that’s only because some secrets are too good to keep! Since this savory favorite is delivered conveniently pre-cooked, you just have to thaw it in the refrigerator the day before you’re ready to tackle The que burger. Once fully thawed, add the vacuum-sealed bag to a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Not only will this safely reheat your meat, it will also help make sure all those flavorful juices stay right where they belong: On your plate.
Next, place the sauce ingredients in a large sauce pan and whisk until everything is well-incorporated to ensure maximum flavor – because nobody likes dry pulled pork! Bring this mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then, add your perfectly reheated pulled pork to the BBQ sauce mixture and fold it in, simmering for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the pulled pork is sticky and lacquered with mouthwatering sauce. Take a small bite (but save some for the burger!) and season to taste as needed with salt and pepper.
Finally, create a super savory dry rub by adding all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisking together until well-incorporated.
2. Cook the Perfect Burger
Cooking the perfect burger is an art form, but luckily for you, you’re already halfway there because you’re using Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Brisket Burgers. First, take the burgers out of your refrigerator and allow them to come to come room temperature, which should take about 20 minutes. Then, amp up their already amazing flavor by seasoning both sides with the BBQ dry rub we just made.
Next, add vegetable oil to a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat and add the burgers to the pan.
Cook your burgers on one side until they’re nicely seared and browned, which should take about 4 minutes, then flip them, add that sharp, slightly earthy, cheddar cheese, and then cook another 4 minutes until the cheese is melted and burger is done exactly the way you love.
Your pan-seared burgers will taste like heaven, but if you simply can’t resist the call of your outdoor grill, follow these four can’t-miss burger grilling tips!
If you’re searching for a way to bring a bit of crunch into this tender, gooey burger, try toasting the buns! Simply add butter to a separate pan over medium-high heat and place the buns sliced-side down for about 30 to 45 seconds until nice and golden-brown.
3. Bring It All Together
Your burger is ready to be devoured – all that’s left to do is put it all together! Put your juicy, cheesy burger on your bottom bun, top it with 4 oz. of that smokey, rich BBQ pulled pork, add 2 pickles for more crunch, and top it off with the bun.
If the Que Burger ticked all the delicious boxes from A to Z, learn more about what makes Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Burgers so special – and delicious.
The Que Burger
Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork and Sauce
- 1 package (24 oz.) Omaha Steaks Smoked Pulled Pork
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
BBQ Dry Rub
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 Omaha Steaks PureGround™ Brisket Burgers
- BBQ dry rub
- Bourbon-BBQ pulled pork
- 8 hamburger dill pickle chips
- 4 potato hamburger buns
- 4 cheddar cheese slices
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 oz. vegetable oil
Bourbon BBQ Pulled Pork and Sauce
- Thaw Omaha Steaks Smoked Pulled Pork in refrigerator overnight; bring a large pot of water to a boil, add vacuum-sealed bag of pulled pork, and boil for 5 minutes to safely reheat without losing juices or flavor.
- Place remainder of ingredients in large saucepan and whisk until well-incorporated; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pulled pork to BBQ sauce and fold in, simmering for about 2 to 3 minutes, until pulled pork is sticky and lacquered with sauce; season to taste as needed with salt and pepper.
BBQ Dry Rub
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together until well-incorporated
- Remove burgers from refrigerator and allow to come to come room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Season with BBQ dry rub on both sides.
- Add vegetable oil to a large cast iron pan and bring to medium-high heat.
- Place burgers in pan and cook on one side until nicely seared and browned, about 4 minutes; flip burgers, add cheddar cheese, and cook another 4 minutes, until cheese is melted and burger is cooked to desired doneness.
- To toast buns, spread1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each side of bun and place in a separate pan; toast about 30 to 45 seconds until golden brown.
- Place burger on bottom bun and top with 4 oz. BBQ pulled pork and 2 pickles, then add top bun.
Make a Better Burger
From classic, extra-juicy tastes to gourmet blends, you’ll find everything you want in a burger right here.