How to Carve a Turkey
- by Omaha Steaks
Carving your own turkey this year? It’s not difficult and we will show you how to carve a turkey in 9 simple steps. We’ve even included an easy-to-follow video tutorial. You will be amazed how quickly you can carve a whole turkey!
Start with a delicious turkey. Omaha Steaks whole basted turkeys are delivered fully brined and ready to roast. We even include a baking bag and pop-up timer, so your turkey cooks perfectly every time.
What You Need to Carve a Turkey:
- Cutting Board
- Thin Boning Knife
- Standard Chef’s Knife
- Serving Platter
How to Carve a Turkey
1. After removing from oven, let turkey rest for half hour – tented with folder. Check out our 10 tips for the perfect turkey to cook a golden brown and delicious turkey every time.
2. Sharpen knives, remove leg holder and thermometer from turkey.
3. Remove each wing by pulling away from the body until joint opens. Separate by hand or use your Chef’s knife. Set both wings aside.
4. Remove the turkey breast. Start by making a deep cut on the outside with your boning knife to remove the leg from the body. Then, make one long, deep slice as close to center as possible and carefully remove breast from body. Remove as much of the whole breast as possible in one slice and set aside to slice into serving sizes.
5. Remove the legs. Use your boning knife to get to the joint and then just pop it open. Each leg should easily detach from the body. Set them aside.
6. Remove as much meat as you can with your hands. Don’t forget to flip it over. This meat will be great for soups.
How to Serve Turkey
Now that you’ve removed all the meat from the turkey, let’s carve it for serving. Make sure to separate white and dark meat on the serving platter, as most guests do have a preference.
1. Separate the drumstick from thigh by starting with the knife and then popping the joint. Leave whole to serve or shred later.
2. Remove the meat from the turkey thigh in large pieces. Cut or shred by hand.
3. Slice turkey breasts AGAINST the grain for juicy, tender slices. Plate for easy serving.
This Thanksgiving, you will be a turkey carving pro. Order your Thanksgiving meal now with a whole basted turkey, easy side dishes and desserts. Follow us on Pinterest for more recipes and cooking tips.
That’s it! Now, you can carve the perfect turkey this holiday season. Happy Holidays.
- 10 Tips for the Perfect Turkey
- 10 Biggest Turkey Cooking Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Spatchcock and Smoke a Turkey
- 10 Holiday Recipe Favorites
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been updated for freshness and comprehensiveness.
Holiday Meals Delivered
With over 100 years of delivering the very best meals and gourmet food, Omaha Steaks is your go-to for a hassle-free holiday meal.