Yellowfin Tuna Sushi Salad Bowl
- by Omaha Steaks
- Last updated May 17, 2023
This totally unique and totally on-trend Yellowfin tuna sushi salad bowl recipe uses authentic Asian flavors to create a power-packed bowl that tastes like hand-rolled sushi. Some might call this a poke bowl, others a tuna salad, but whatever you call it, you’ll want to make this dish over and over again.
The Best Tuna for Yellowfin Tuna Sushi Salad Bowls
The key to a delicious sushi salad dish is high-quality fish like Omaha Steaks Yellowfin Tuna Steaks. Found in the waters of the Pacific Ocean, these yellowfin tuna steaks are a favorite among seafood lovers. Also known as Ahi tuna, the Hawaiian name for yellowfin, these seafood steaks have a firm texture and meaty flavor, making them perfect for this recipe.
How to Make a Yellowfin Tuna Sushi Salad Bowl
This delicious and fresh Yellowfin tuna sushi salad bowl features perfectly seasoned and pan-seared tuna steaks, hearty arugula, edamame, and pickled ginger with a zesty wasabi dressing.
1. Thaw Tuna Steaks
Start by thawing the desired number of tuna steaks. To thaw in the refrigerator, cover and let thaw overnight. For faster thawing, place tuna steaks in a sealable plastic bag and remove as much air from the bag as possible, then immerse in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. Marinate the Tuna Steaks
Place thawed tuna steaks in resealable container or plastic bag. Combine the ingredients for the sweet and spicy marinade and pour over the tuna steaks, ensuring they are completely covered. Seal container or bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate the tuna steak.
3. Pan-Sear Tuna
After a quick marinade, pan-sear the tuna steaks in a hot skillet for 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side, depending on your desired doneness.
4. Assemble Sushi Salad Bowl
Serve flaked or thinly sliced tuna over an arugula and iceberg lettuce salad with our tangy wasabi dressing, pickled carrots, cucumber, edamame, pickled ginger, and radishes.
Yellowfin Tuna Sushi Salad Bowl
Sweet & Spicy Pan-Seared Tuna:
- 6 6 oz. Omaha Steaks Yellowfin Tuna Steaks, thawed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red chili sauce
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups loosely packed torn iceberg lettuce
- 6 cups loosely packed baby arugula
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame cooked and cooled
- 3/4 cup sliced pickled ginger
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 sheets toasted nori shredded
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Sweet & Spicy Pan-Seared Tuna
- Place thawed tuna steaks in a bowl or a sealed plastic bag.
- Combine the soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, olive oil, lime juice, and red chili sauce and pour the mixture over the Ahi tuna steaks.
- Seal or cover and place the tuna steaks in the fridge and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the tuna steaks from the fridge and take out of the marinade.
- Top each tuna steak with sesame seeds.
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add one tuna steak to the pan and sear for 30 seconds to 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat for each tuna steak.
- Allow the tuna steaks to rest for 2 minutes and then thinly slice.
- Toss together carrots, vinegar, salt and sugar
- Let stand for at least 20 minutes or up to 4 hours. Drain well.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, soy sauce, wasabi paste, sugar and salt.
- Divide iceberg, arugula, tuna, and green onions among 6 bowls.
- Top with pickled carrots, cucumber, edamame, pickled ginger, and radishes.
- Whisk vinaigrette and drizzle evenly over each salad.
- Top with nori and sesame seeds.
- Serve with additional wasabi and soy sauce.
- Add avocado slices to salad if desired.
More Yellowfin Tuna Recipes
Responsibly sourced from oceans around the globe and always delivered frozen fresh for the greatest seafood experience any time you wish.