Benefits of Frozen Seafood
- by Omaha Steaks
- Jan 8, 2018
While some think seafood loses its nutrients and benefits when frozen, it actually has the same nutritional value as fresh fish. Freezing acts as a “pause button” on seafood and extends the lifespan of the product, while also preserving all the nutrients at their peak.
Omaha Steaks is your source for premium, ocean-fresh seafood delivered directly to your door. Regardless of whether you live by the coast or in the Midwest, quality and freshness matter in seafood. Our commitment to offering the finest frozen seafood year-round allows you to enjoy seafood any time you wish.
Benefits of Frozen Seafood
The flavor and incredible nutrient-packed benefits aren’t the only reasons to buy frozen.
- Sustainability- Frozen seafood has a much lower carbon footprint since it can be transported by boat, whereas fresh seafood must be express shipped on a plane to preserve the fish.
- Better Quality- Flash-freezing fish creates smaller ice crystals in and around the meat, which allows for the natural structure of the meat to stay better intact.
- Nutritional Value- Freezing technology is far more advanced than your typical at-home freezer. Seafood that’s quickly and deeply frozen like ours preserves its nutrients and helps to protects the proteins and fat structure longer.
- No Seasonality- Like produce, seafood is traditionally limited to seasons. Omaha Steaks frozen seafood eliminates that seasonality, allowing you eat what you want, when you want it.
- Less Waste- Since our seafood is frozen and individually vacuum-sealed, you are able to select only the quantity of fish you want to prepare and leave the rest frozen for another time.
Frequently Asked Questions about Frozen Seafood:
Does Frozen Seafood Taste Fresh?
Despite what many believe, frozen seafood can taste fresher than fresh. Freezing ensures a level of convenience, value, and year-round availability of your seafood that you simply won’t find anywhere else.
What is Flash-Freezing and How Does it Preserve Seafood?
Our exact process of preserving that ocean-fresh flavor begins moments after the seafood is caught or harvested, when the cleaning and freezing happen directly on the boat. When quickly frozen, we’re able to preserve the seafood, locking in the freshest flavors and nutrients without causing damage to the cells of the meat. The seafood is then brough to a facility where it’s carved and individually vacuum-sealed, then flash-frozen at temperatures as low as 60 degrees below zero to further preserve that exquisite texture, taste, and color.
Where Does Omaha Steaks Source Seafood?
We start by selecting the very best fisheries the world has to offer. Hand-selected by our team of experts, with every choice based on a set of strict quality standards, we find seafood from the world’s leaders in environmentally responsible aquaculture. These trusted, industry-leading fisheries catch and harvest their fish with the highest level of responsibility and care for our ocean ecosystem. From top sources all over the world, you get an expertly curated selection of seafood favorites that are ready to ship to you.
Not only is choosing frozen seafood convenient and easy, but it is more nutritional and trustworthy and better for the environment. How many of these benefits can you trust you’ll receive when buying fish from your local supermarket? Shop Omaha Steaks, a name you can trust for the highest quality frozen seafood delivered directly to your door.
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in April 2022 for freshness and comprehensiveness.
Responsibly sourced from oceans around the globe and always delivered frozen fresh for the greatest seafood experience any time you wish.