9 Biggest Grilled Steak Mistakes and How to Fix Them

  • by Omaha Steaks
Two New York strip steaks on grill

A juicy, tender grilled steak isn’t difficult. Avoid these common grilling mistakes, you might even call them “mis-steaks,” and master the art of steak grilling.

Biggest Steak Grilling Mistakes

1. Not grilling the best

For a great steak, grill the best. A well-marbled, aged steak tastes better… period. Omaha Steaks are hand-selected for quality and marbled, aged 21+ for maximum tenderness, hand-carved by master butchers and flash frozen to preserve flavor and texture. Delivered to your door and ready to grill when you are. Our beef is better … 100% guaranteed.

2. Cooking a cold steak

Cooking a cold steak will result in an undercooked steak. Make sure to set your steak at room temperature for 30 minutes to climatize the steak and bring it to room temperature to ensure it cooks evenly throughout the entire steak.

3. Seasoning too late

A big mistake is seasoning your steak immediately before grilling. It’s best to season your steak with coarse sea salt and pepper or Omaha Steaks signature seasoning 30 minutes before grilling to allow the seasoning to permeate the meat and enhance the natural beef flavors. For even better results, try a simple dry brine to tenderize and season your steak.

9 Biggest Grilled Steak Mistakes and How to Fix Them

4. Steak sticks to the grill

You want to enjoy that beautiful steak crust, not have it stick to the grill grates. Keep steaks from sticking to a hot grill by applying a bit oil to the grates just before grilling. To oil the grates, you can used tongs and a rolled-up paper towel dipped in oil or a grill spray.

5. Grill is not hot enough

Keep your grill HOT for best results. Use both indirect and direct heat on your gas or charcoal grill. Sear the first side of your steak on the hot side of the grill and finish in indirect heat after flipping.

6. Flipping the steak too soon or too often

Follow the 60/40 rule and flip your steak once for an evenly cooked steak. This means 60% of the cook time is on the first side, flip, and cook the other side for 40% of the time. Use the Omaha Steaks mobile app with built-in timer or our steak cooking chart to nail your cooking times.

7. Not temping your steak

No one wants an undercooked or overcooked steak. The most accurate way to measure steak doneness is with a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer in the center or meatiest portion of the steak and use our steak doneness and temperature guide or the chart below to cook to your ideal doneness.

  • Rare:120F
  • Medium-Rare: 130F
  • Medium: 140F
  • Medium-Well: 150F
  • Well: 160+F
9 Biggest Grilled Steak Mistakes and How to Fix Them

8. Opening the grill lid frequently

Every time you open the grill to ‘peek’, you drop the temperature of the grill. This will result in an uneven cook. Leave the lid closed until it’s time to flip your steak. This will also prevent flareups, keeping you safe while grilling. Use our steak cooking chart or Omaha Steaks mobile app with built-in timer to estimate the best times to flip your steak. Our mobile app can even be used to cook multiple steak cuts at the same time. Just start a timer for each of your steaks, and the app will alert you when it’s time to start each steak, flip, and remove to ensure each steak is cooked to your desired doneness. This means everyone can eat at the same time.

9. Cutting the steak too soon

The biggest secret to a juicy, tender steak is allowing it to rest 5-10 minutes after grilling. This simple step allows the juices to redistribute ensuring every bite is juicy and flavorful. Resist the temptation to cut into the steak immediately. We promise, it is worth the wait!

9 Biggest Grilled Steak Mistakes and How to Fix Them

Avoid these nine grilling mistakes and impress your friends and family with your steak grilling skills.

More articles:

 

9 Biggest Grilled Steak Mistakes and How to Fix Them

Steaks for Everyone

Shop steaks by cut, texture, flavor — whatever you prefer! We’ve got something for everyone.