Dad Guide: Valentine’s Day Dinner at Home
- by Omaha Steaks
- Feb 8, 2017
Dads, good news.
The results of the Omaha Steaks Valentine’s Day Survey are in, and you don’t have to make reservations. Valentine’s Day at home?
That’s right. Nearly 90% of our respondents said they’d enjoy their spouse cooking for them at home, and almost 75% said a meal cooked by their Valentine makes them feel the most loved. It’s also cheaper, quieter, and less formal. So let’s roll up those sleeves and plan a special Valentine’s dinner, shall we?
These are the four elements of Valentine’s Day dinner. We’ll teach you how to make each, and lightly encourage you to try easy Omaha Steaks dishes along the way.
Our signature steak is the most requested main dish for a special dinner. Go with your instincts and make filet mignon — it’s the tenderest steak you can possibly get, it’s mild and easy to love, and it’s simple to make at home even in February. It doesn’t need to be big — 5 or 6 ounces should do it — you’re having lobster tails, too.
- Thaw your steaks and blot them dry with a clean paper towel.
- Rub steaks with olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Preheat your skillet on high.
- Add filets, searing all sides on the hot skillet (the more surface area you sear, the better your steak).
- Take steaks off when the internal temp measures about 130F for medium-rare (probably around 10m total).
- Let steaks rest before serving!
Sure, you could just do steak. You could save money by getting wilted flowers, too. Completing your Valentine’s Day surf & turf with lobster tails is actually easy. Omaha Steaks lobster tails, and most other lobster tails you can get, are frozen when you bring them home. That makes it super easy.
- Start with your lobster tails frozen, no need to thaw.
- Boil water in a big pot or saucepan. Add Old Bay or another seasoning if you’d like.
- Unwrap your frozen lobster tails and plop them in the water.
- Bring the water back to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook tails for 12-15 minutes
- The tails are done with the meat is opaque (white, not clear)
- Serve with plenty of butter.
APPS & SIDES & DESSERT
Here’s where we’ll go ahead and do a little shameless promotion. You don’t need to mess around with side dishes from scratch… the timing is hard and the results will be mixed if you’re inexperienced. There’s no shame in letting Omaha Steaks appetizers and sides do the work. Our Valentine’s Day dinners come with no-work-required mashed potatoes or steakhouse-style stuffed baked potatoes, colorful vegetables, and more.
Also, chocolate. And, preferably, chocolates. Look for something indulgent and rich, with keywords like chocolate ganache or chocolate mousse. Our Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes have just been re-made by our chefs to literally overflow with more chocolate ganache than a typical dessert plate can handle.
That’s it. All you have to do to make your Valentine happy is make surf & turf at home and complete the meal with easy sides and desserts from Omaha Steaks. Head to our Valentine’s Day Dinners or Last-Minute Gifts section to have a complete menu delivered!