Looking for a delicious high-protein, low-carb meal without sacrificing taste? Try this cherry pepper pesto caprese salad with grilled asparagus and flat iron steak. Fill your bowl with delicious veggies and fresh mozzarella in a flavorful pesto sauce and top with flat iron steak for added protein.
This is a quick and easy recipe that you could prepare for a nutrient-rich lunch or dinner any day of the week. If you’re really short on time, the chef says your favorite store-brand pesto will work for this recipe. I would recommend trying the homemade cherry pepper pesto – it is bursting with flavor. The great thing is the cherry pepper pesto can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
You can prepare this entire recipe on the grill, so no need to heat up the oven. You can easily grill a flat iron steak for restaurant results at home and grilled veggies are our favorite.
Cherry Pepper Pesto Caprese Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Flat Iron Steak
- 4 7 oz. Omaha Steaks Flat Iron Steaks
- 1 bunch asparagus washed tough ends trimmed
- ½ cup pesto see recipe below – Chef’s tip: your favorite store-bought brand will work
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 8 oz. Ciliegine (small mozzarella balls) drained and cut in half
- 8 cups romaine or your favorite lettuce washed and chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 2 T.
- Salt and Pepper
CHERRY PEPPER PESTO INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves no stems
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts or walnuts
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed
- 2-3 Cherry peppers we used Mazzetta Brand, drained and chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preheat grill to medium high.
Remove Flat Iron Steaks from packing, pat dry with paper towels. Lightly oil steaks with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, season with salt and set aside.
Place asparagus on a sheet tray. Lightly oil with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, season with salt and set aside.
Prepare pesto – see recipe below.
Combine sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella balls in a small bowl. Toss with 1 Tbsp. Cherry pepper pesto. Season with salt & pepper, set aside.
Wisk 1/4 cup olive oil and remaining pesto in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
Grill Flat Iron Steaks according to Omaha Steaks cooking chart or steak cooking app. Remove steaks from grill onto a platter. Set aside to rest 10 minutes.
Grill asparagus until it starts to blacken and char, turning frequently. Remove from grill and chop into 1’ pieces.
Preparation for Cherry Pepper Pesto
Combine basil leaves, pine nuts or walnuts, garlic and cherry peppers in a food processor and process until very finely minced.
With the machine running slowly dribble in the oil and process until the mixture is smooth.
Add the cheese and process very briefly, just long enough to combine. Can be made ahead and stored in refrigerator or freezer.
Steaks for Everyone
Shop steaks by cut, texture, flavor — whatever you prefer! We’ve got something for everyone.