How to Grill a Flat Iron Steak for Restaurant Results at Home
- by Chef John Rivers
In recent years, the Flat Iron steak has becoming increasingly popular on restaurant menus across the country, and for good reason. Taken from the upper portion of the top blade roast, this cut is named after its triangular shape (like an old clothes iron) and is perfect for grilling — given its uniform thickness, nice marbling and rich flavor.
So where has this steak been all of your life? Well, the top blade roast was actually ignored for years due to a tough connective tissue that runs through its center. Once the connective tissue was removed and the roast was separated in to two distinct pieces, however, the flat iron steak was born.
Now that you’ve been properly introduced, it’s time to fire up the grill. While Flat Iron steaks are certainly wonderful when given a quick soak in your favorite beef marinade prior to grilling, I find that its rich flavor is best left to shine alone.
Here’s how to grill a flat iron steak:
How to Grill a Flat Iron Steak
- Simply preheat your grill for medium-high heat cooking (approximately 400 degrees).
- Rub the steaks with a little olive oil, then season liberally with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Grill the steaks over direct heat for 5-7 minutes per side until they reach an internal temperature of 130 degrees for medium rare.
- Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes then slice it thin against the natural grain that runs through the steak to ensure maximum tenderness.
Now that your steak is sliced and ready to serve, I like to take it over the top with a flavor packed pesto butter — the recipe for which can be found below. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. pesto (ingredients & recipe follows)
- 1 cup basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper.
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
Combine butter and pesto and refrigerate until ready to use.
Combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a food process or blender and pulse until finely chopped.
Slowly add the olive oil and blend until fully incorporated.
Flat Iron Steaks
This popular new steak is catching on with steak lovers everywhere. Our Flat Iron Steak is extra tender and juicy with a robust, beef flavor that’s delicious grilled, broiled, or pan fried. Big on flavor, yet completely trimmed, this trendy steak is one you have to try!