Gyro-Style Steak Pitas Recipe
- by Omaha Steaks
- Last updated Apr 13, 2023
When you’re craving a healthy taste of the Mediterranean without the fuss – or passport – this nutritious and delicious gyro-style steak pita recipe is guaranteed to satisfy. Whether you pronounce the “g” or put some local flair on it, no one can resist the light, healthy taste of this flavor and texture fusion that’s as easy to make as it is to enjoy. From the perfectly seasoned steak strips and refreshing homemade tzatziki sauce to the wonderfully sweet and tart tomatoes, crisp and mild cucumbers, and crunchy, potent onions – all on a mouthwatering and sturdy whole-wheat fluffy pita vessel – you’ll be shouting “Opa!” with every bite.
Why We Love This Omaha Steaks Top Sirloin Recipe
While a traditional gyro is made with lamb, we’ve elevated this recipe to feature bold, robust slices of Omaha Steaks Sirloin Supremes. Hand-selected and expertly cut by master butchers, then naturally aged at least 30 days, this grain-finished steak is leaner and more tender than your average sirloin and you can taste the difference. Enjoy a steakhouse-style experience with a cut that’s thick, tall, and best served medium-rare. And with our chef-approved pan-searing method, you’re in for an exquisite crust in every juicy, tender bite. This isn’t just a gyro – this is an Omaha Steaks gyro.
Before You Start
Safely thaw your bold and beefy Omaha Steaks Sirloin Supremes either in the refrigerator or in cold water when using our quick-thaw method.
Tools You will Need Before You Start
- 1 Small Bowl
- 1 Large Nonstick Skillet
- Tongs or Spatula
Omaha Steaks Products Featured in This Recipe
Gyro-Style Steak Pitas
- 1/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 oz. chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 6 oz. Omaha Steaks Sirloin Supremes
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and press mixture onto steak.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place steak in skillet and cook for 10 to 13 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Plate pitas, carve steak into thin slices, and place slices on each pita. Top with tomatoes and onions and serve with tzatziki sauce.
Steaks for Everyone
Shop steaks by cut, texture, flavor — whatever you prefer! We’ve got something for everyone.