How to Cook Steak in the Air Fryer
- by Omaha Steaks
- Last updated Nov 28, 2023
Cooking steak in the air fryer is incredibly simple and gives your steak a nice, brown crust on the outside and tender, juicy perfection on the inside. Air frying steak is the ideal combination of the delicious sear from pan-searing and the ease of cooking steak in the oven. It’s the perfect way to cook a steak for an easy date night dinner or quick weeknight meal.
Can You Really Cook Steak in the Air Fryer?
Yes! Air fryers are miniature convection ovens that fit on most countertops and can cook almost anything you can cook in an oven, including a steak! A fan circulates air at a high-speed simulating deep frying resulting in crispy chicken wings, vegetables, steakhouse fries, or a delicious steak with very little oil.
How to Cook Steak in the Air Fryer
Follow these steps to cook a perfect steak in the air fryer.
1. Thaw Steak Completely
Every Omaha Steak is extra-aged at least 28 days to maximize tenderness and flash frozen to deliver better quality, consistency, and flavor. Thawing frozen steaks is easy using one of two methods: refrigerator thawing overnight or quick thawing in cold water using our defrosting steak guide.
2. Preheat Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F while you prepare your steak.
3. Lightly Oil and Season Steak
4. Place Steaks in the Air Fryer
Place your seasoned steak in the air fryer basket leaving 1 inch space between portions. This ensures there is adequate room in the air fryer for the air to circulate for a nice, crispy crust on all sides.
5. Cook to Desired Doneness
Most steak cuts cook to medium-rare doneness in under 15 minutes. Use this chart to air fry your favorite steak.
Air Fryer Steak Cooking Times:
Flip steak halfway through cooking time to ensure a crispy exterior on both sides. Air fryer cooking times for steak can vary depending on the thickness of the meat and the appliance you use. For all cuts of steak, monitor the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
Use our steak doneness guide and chart below to cook to your desired doneness. Remember, the steak will continue to cook as it rests, so remove it from the air fryer at 5°F below your final desired temperature.
Steak Doneness Temperature Chart:
- Rare: 120°-130°F
- Medium-rare: 130°-140°F (recommended)
- Medium: 140°-150°F
- Well-done: 160°-170°F
6. Rest Steak
Once your steak is 5°F below your desired temperature, remove the steak from the air fryer and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Resting is important because it allows the juices to redistribute and deliver a mouthwatering, juicy steak. Pair with your favorite side dishes and a decadent dessert for a delicious steakhouse-style dinner at home any night of the week.
Chef Tips for Cooking Steak in the Air Fryer
- Dry Brine: Maximize the flavor and juiciness of your steak with a simple dry brine for as little as 30 minutes or up to 24 hours before cooking.
- Season Liberally: A quality seasoning adds flavor to your steak.
- Space Your Steaks: Air fryers need room to circulate the air effectively. Make sure to leave 1 inch space between each steak.
- Rest: Always, always rest your steak 5-10 minutes before slicing for a more tender, juicier bite.
- Sauces & Toppings: Finish your steak with a compound butter or chimichurri for a restaurant-style meal.
Want to make your steak into chicken fried? Try this classic air fryer chicken fried steak recipe with New York strip steak and a simple homemade batter.
- Thaw steak in refrigerator overnight or, for quicker thawing, keep steaks in packaging or place in a sealable bag and immerse in cold water for at least 30 minutes or until steaks are thawed.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F
- Once the steak is thawed pat dry with paper towel. Lightly oil and season liberally.
- Place steak on air fryer rack or in basket leaving 1 inch between steaks.
- Cook steak to desired doneness and flip halfway through cooking time for a crispy exterior. Depending on the steak and desired doneness refer to the steak doneness chart and air fryer cooking times chart.
- Remove from air fryer, let rest 5-10 minutes and serve.