The Best Grilled Top Sirloin Steak
- by Matt Eads
Guest Post by Matt Eads from Grillseeker, Omaha Steaks Brand Ambassador
Top sirloin is one of the more popular cuts from a steer. Popular in large part because so many restaurants offer this cut as their house steak, but also because it’s budget friendly and tastes great when properly prepared. I’m no stranger to steak, in fact I generally like my steak with a side of steak, but don’t take my word for it, try this simple recipe for yourself.
Because top sirloin is a very lean cut of beef, similar to filet mignon, it benefits from some things I wouldn’t recommend for a cut like a ribeye or a strip steak. Searing the top sirloin in melted butter and minced garlic for example, can really help add some fat to this cut. Today we’re grilling these steaks so we’ll forgo the butter bath, but we’ll top it with this chimichurri sauce recipe to really enhance the flavor of this steak.
How to Grill a Top Sirloin
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to near room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- While steak is coming up to temperature, preheat an outdoor grill. Set your grill to high temperature direct heat.
- Season your steak with desired amount of sea salt.
- Place steaks on grill directly over high heat and grill for 2-3 minutes before flipping the steak.
- Flip steaks every 2-3 minutes, checking the internal temperature with a reliable meat thermometer.
- For a perfect medium rare, remove steaks from the grill at an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees F.
- Allow steak to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with chimichurri sauce and serve.
Recipe & Grilling Tips
Many people will season with salt and pepper, I don’t recommend pepper because it burns when exposed to high heat so if you like pepper, feel free to use it after your steaks come off the grill.
I use garlic in the chimichurri we’re adding to this steak, but it you really love garlic try adding a little garlic powder to the steak before grilling it.
Steaks for Grilling
Shop steaks by cut, texture, flavor — whatever you prefer! We’ve got something for everyone.