Filet Mignon Crispy Steak Stir-Fry Recipe
- by Chef David Rose
- Feb 22, 2022
Have a hankering for a Chinese takeout favorite with a made-from-scratch taste? My filet mignon crispy steak stir-fry is the ultimate Chinese takeout fake out! It’s got all the touchstone flavors and textures you’re craving and it’s ready faster than you can say “delivery, please.” Prepare some delicious steamed rice separately and follow the easy steps below for a can’t-miss meal. Let’s wok and roll!
Why We Love This Recipe
There are a lot of ways to make good stir-fry, but this recipe turns “good” into “great”! Many people worry they won’t be able to recreate the same authentic taste they get in Chinese restaurants and takeout at home, but with the right ingredients, both new and seasoned chefs will be amazed at what they can do. Every good stir-fry needs the perfect sauce to complement it and teriyaki packs the big punch of salty umami this dish craves. Trust me, after one bite, this will become a household staple in your home, so let’s get started!
Tools You’ll Need Before You Start
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Small Bowl
- 2 Medium Bowls
- 1 Wok
- 1 Medium Pot (to prepare rice)
How to Cook Filet Mignon Crispy Steak Stir-Fry
The thing that really sets this simple recipe apart from basic stir-fry is our secret ingredient: Omaha Steaks Triple-Trimmed Tenderloin Tips. Made from 1-inch pieces of Omaha Steaks famously fork-tender Filet Mignon, aged at least 30 days, and flash-frozen at their peak flavor, these juicy, buttery tips are carved by master butchers and guaranteed to satisfy.
1. Prepare the Stir-Fry Sauce
First, we’re going to make a delicious stir-fry sauce with the sweet, tangy, sticky base of teriyaki. Add your beef stock, duck sauce, rice wine, and sriracha to a medium bowl. Then, in a separate small bowl, combine your teriyaki sauce and cornstarch and whisk until it’s so smooth you can’t see any clumps. Add to the medium bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until well incorporated, and set the bowl aside for later.
2. Get Your Tenderloin Tips Ready
Now it’s time to get to those tender, juicy, Omaha Steaks Triple-Trimmed Tenderloin Tips! After thawing, pat your filet tips dry with a paper towel to make it easier for your seasonings to stick. Then, place them in a medium bowl and level-up their natural flavor by adding kosher salt, black pepper, Chinese five spice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until well incorporated.
Finally, dredge those tasty tenderloin tips in 1/4 cup cornstarch, making sure to cover all sides.
3. Turn Up the Heat
Add 1/2 cup grapeseed oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to your wok and bring to a medium-high heat. Then add your coated filet tips and sauté in small batches so they have room to breathe, browning for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Remove browned tips from your wok and place on paper towel-lined plate.
4. Bring On the Veggies!
Wipe out your wok and add 1/4 cup grapeseed oil. Then return to a medium-high heat and (safely) toss in all those fresh vegetables and a pinch of salt and pepper, which will enhance their natural flavors.
Sauté your vegetables until tender, but still al dente and slightly crisp, for about 1 minute.
5. Bring it All Together
Add that stir-fry sauce we whipped up earlier to your wok of veggies and bring to a boil until thickened. Then add your browned tips and some zesty cilantro back into the wok and toss until coated. Finish it up by seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve this delicious stir-fry over your steamed rice and break out the chopsticks for an authentic and tasty Chinese takeout experience.
Filet Mignon Crispy Steak Stir-Fry
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup duck sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin cooking rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lb. bag of Omaha Steaks Triple-Trimmed Tenderloin Tips
- 5 oz. shittake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, small, thinly sliced
- 1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 asparagus spears, jumbo, blanched, cut into 2" pieces
- 4 green onion stalks, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup corn starch for dredging
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil + 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups steamed white or brown rice, fully cooked
- Add teriyaki sauce and cornstarch to a small bowl and whisk until free of lumps and well incorporated.
- Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until fully incorporated.
Filet Mignon Stir-Fry
- Prepare rice separately.
- Place tenderloin tips in medium bowl with kosher salt, black pepper, Chinese five spice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch; toss thoroughly until well incorporated.
- Dredge tenderloin tips in 1/4 cup cornstarch on all sides.
- In a wok, add 1/2 cup grapeseed oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil; bring to medium-high heat.
- Sauté and cook tenderloin tips in small batches to not overcrowd the wok; brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Remove browned tips from wok and place on paper towel-lined plate.
- Wipe out wok and add 1/4 cup grapeseed oil; return to medium-high heat and add all vegetables and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté vegetables until tender, but still al dente, about 1 minute.
- Add stir-fry sauce to wok and bring to a boil until thickened; add browned tips and cilantro back into wok and toss until coated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over steamed white or brown rice.
Steaks For Everyone
Shop steaks by cut, texture, flavor — whatever you prefer! We’ve got something for everyone.