Using Beer to Make Steak Sauce
- by Lexi Abel
- Jan 9, 2014
Omaha Steaks has partnered with Nebraska’s Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. to develop innovative and flavorful recipes that bring together world-class food and exceptional beer. Using Lucky Bucket’s classic styles and big barrel-aged ales, I’ve crafted a handful of sauces and marinades to pair exclusively with gourmet food from Omaha Steaks. To see more beer-inspired recipes, click here.
This week, I wanted to share with you a recipe for steak sauce using beer. I chose to use a beer from a local Omaha brewery called Lucky Bucket, but if it’s not available where you live, you can substitute with just about any beer you like.
Cheers! Chef Karl
Filet Mignons with Lucky Bucket Lager Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 3/4 cup of Sauce
4 Omaha Steaks Filet Mignons
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 Cup Yellow Onion Diced
1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
8 Slices Omaha Steaks Precooked Bacon
1 each 12 oz. Bottle Lucky Bucket Lager
4 oz. Omaha Steaks Demi Glace (Called Steak Gravy on our website)
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 Tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice
1/8th tsp. black pepper
1. Melt 2 Tbsp. of whole butter in a large stainless steal sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, garlic, and bacon and cook while stirring for about 10-15 minutes or until onion and garlic are browned and bacon is crisp.
3. Add beer to pan and scape the bottom of the pan while stirring.
4. Simmer over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has thickened and reduced by 3/4. Stir occasionally, taking care to let reduction go to far and burn.
5. Add Omaha Steaks Demi Glace and let melt into the sauce.
6. Transfer sauce to a blender add Sea Salt, Fresh Lemon Juice and Black Pepper.
7. Blend until smooth then strain through a fine strainer using a rubber spatula to push the liquid through the strainer.
8. Season and grill Omaha Steaks. Pour sauce over steaks when serving.
9. Serve with a glass of Lucky Bucket Lager.
Note: Demi Glace is a veal stock reduction and is available online from Omaha Steaks or other gourmet food retailers.
Omaha Steaks General Beer Pairing Chart:
|Beer Type||Omaha Steaks Products|
|Cream Ale, Blond Ale||Bratwurst, Chicken Breasts, Salmon, Lithuanian Tortes, Key Lime Tartlets|
|British Style Bitter||Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts, Chicken Fried Chicken, Pork Chops, Pub Style Cod|
|Pale Ale||Burgers, Filet Mignon Pastry Bites, Pumpkin Cheesecake|
|India Pale Ale||Buffalo Wings, Bull Wings, Steakhouse Chili, Blackened Shrimp Blackening Seasoning, Carmel Apple Tartlets|
|Double Imperial IPA||Chicken Fried Steak, Brisket, Sliced Pastrami, Carrot Cake, Crème Brulee|
|Amber / Red Ale||Burgers, Ribeye Steaks, Stuffed Chicken Breasts|
|Abby Dubbel||Beef Sirloin Stew, Strip loin Steak, Porterhouse Steak, T-Bone Steak|
|Strong Ale or Old Ale||Roast Beef Slices, Beef Pot Roast, Seasoned Beef Brisket|
|Porter||Polish Sausage, Bratwurst, Old World Beef Franks, Italian Sausage|
|Dry Stout||Top Sirloin Steaks, Strip Loin Steaks, Flank Steak|
|Imperial Stout / Porter||Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes, Fudge Filled Brownies, Sea Salt Caramel Brownies|
|Hefewizen||Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, Halibut, Sea Bass, Key Lime Tartlets, Lemon Tart|
|American Wheat Ale||Chicken Breasts, Boneless Pork Chops. Filet Mignon|
|Pilsner||Salmon, Gourmet Franks, Turkey|
|Amber Lager||Chili Pot Pies, Beef Stroganoff, Tenderloin Tips|