Wild Salmon Cakes with Capers & Dill
- by Omaha Steaks
- Jan 28, 2018
Always wondered how to make salmon cakes? It’s easy! This classic wild salmon cakes recipe makes for an easy dinner party appetizer or a great main dish with a green salad. Follow this delicious recipe and you will have a dish that is sure to impress anyone who gets to try your homemade wild salmon cakes with capers & dill.
How to Make Salmon Cakes
This dish is best served with our Wild Alaskan Skin-On Sockeye Salmon. This salmon has a light and airy texture that is perfect for this salmon cakes recipe.
1. Bake Salmon 8-10 Minutes
Start by preheating your oven to 400°F, brush fillets with olive oil, and season with our Seafood Rub. Place fillets on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Flake salmon into large chunks in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Sauté the Vegetables
Cook red pepper, green onions, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper for 3-5 minutes in a skillet over medium heat.
3. Combine All Ingredients, Form into Patties & Refrigerate
Gently fold together salmon and red pepper mixture along with the remaining ingredients. Divide into portions and form 16 appetizer-sized salmon cakes or the desired number of patties, and serve on buns. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Pan Sear the Salmon Cakes
Heat remaining oil in a skillet set over medium heat and cook salmon cakes in batches for 8-10 minutes, turning once. The salmon cakes are done when the internal temperature reaches 145°F and the crust is golden brown.
Wild Salmon Cakes with Capers & Dill
- 4 6 oz. Wild Salmon Fillets, thawed
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Omaha Steaks Seafood Rub with Citrus & Herb, or your favorite seafood seasoning
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper, finely diced
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange salmon fillets on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush fillets with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with 1 tablespoon of Signature Seafood Rub. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until fish just starts to flake; let cool completely. Over a large bowl flake salmon into chunks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, add red pepper, green onions, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-5minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Gently fold together salmon, red pepper mixture, breadcrumbs, eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, mustard, dill,Worcestershire sauce, and remaining rub. Divide into 16 portions or form into the desired number of patties. Cover and refrigerate for 1-8 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet set over medium heat. In batches, cook salmon cakes for 8-10 minutes, turning once. Cook until patties are golden brown and have reached 145°F. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. If desired serve with Omaha Steaks Lemon Dill Tartar Sauce.
Tip: Shape salmon cakes into larger patties for burger size if desired.
More Salmon Recipes
- Grill Marinated Salmon Salad
- Wild Salmon Fillets with Napa Cabernet Glaze
- Wild Salmon Fillets with Grilled Pineapple Chipotle Salsa
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in November 2021 for freshness and comprehensiveness.
Responsibly sourced from oceans around the globe and always delivered frozen fresh for the greatest seafood experience any time you wish.