Your Holiday Shopping just got easier... FREE SHIPPING on selected combos! Click for details
Stuffed Beef Tournedos with Fettucine, Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- For the Tournedos:
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), minced
- ½ cup black olives (preferably Gaeta or Nicoise), pitted and minced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons minced thyme
- 1 ½ pounds Omaha Steaks Chateaubriand, Beef Tenderloin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fettucine, Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Zucchini:
- 8 ounces dried fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 5 Roma tomatoes, blanched (see below), peeled, seeded, and diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, (packed in oil), thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme
- ¼ to ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (see below)
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil.
- Score the base of the tomatoes with an "X" and immerse in the water for 30 seconds.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Peel with the tip of a knife, starting at the base end of the tomatoes.
Toasted pine nuts:
- Place in a hot, dry skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toast pine nuts, chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds for 3 to 5 minutes.
- The nuts are toasted when they look slightly browned and smell aromatic.
To prepare the tournedos
- Combine the tomatoes, olives, garlic, and thyme in a small bowl.
- Slice the tenderloin into 8 equal portions (about 3 ounces each); cut portions from the tapered end longer and flatten each steak so that the tournedos are approximately the same size.
- Cut a pocket in the side of each tournedo and fill with about 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato-olive mixture.
- Season the steaks with pepper and set aside.
- Cook the fettuccine al dente, according to the package directions.
- Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and zucchini and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and thyme, and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture is relatively dry but still a little moist.
- Add the cooked fettuccine to the pan, stir in the heavy cream, and cook over low heat until the fettuccine is warm and the cream sauce thickens a bit.
- Season with the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
To finish the steaks, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the tournedos over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, about 2 ½ minutes per side for medium, or to the desired doneness. Serve 2 tournedos per person with the fettuccine on the side. Garnish the fettuccine with toasted pine nuts before serving.