Get FREE SHIPPING on selected Omaha Steaks Combos. Click for details
Pan-Seared Strip Steaks with
Chipotle Butter and Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Twice-Baked Potatoes:
- 6 russet potatoes
- 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons pureed canned chipotle chiles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk or low-fat milk
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Chipotle Butter:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 boneless strip steaks, about 10 ounces each Omaha Steaks
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
You may want to use two skillets to sear the steaks to speed the cooking process; and you can cook two steaks in each skillet.
You can also grill the steaks, but pan-searing in a little olive oil gives the steaks a crisp crust that seals in all their juices.
For best results let the steaks rest briefly before serving.
The savory stuffed potatoes are perfect with steak, and the chiles add a surprising dimension of flavor.
Serve with a mixed green salad of your choice.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the potatoes in foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Remove the foil and let cool to room temperature.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off ¼ inch from each end of the potatoes and carefully hollow them out, leaving the skin intact.
- Place the potato flesh in a mixing bowl and mash with the goat cheese, scallions, and chipotle puree.
- Heat the butter and milk in a small saucepan until hot and the butter has melted.
- Beat into the potato-cheese mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the potato skins with the potato mixture. (You can prepare the potatoes up to this point ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before reheating.)
- When ready to serve, heat the oven to 400 degrees, place the stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes, until hot.
- While the potatoes are baking, place all the ingredients for the chipotle butter in a food processor.
- Process the mixture until completely incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a long sheet of parchment or wax paper and shape the mixture into a cylinder about 1 inch in diameter, following the long side of the paper.
- Leave about a 1 inch border between the butter and the edge of the paper.
- Roll the butter up in the paper to form a log and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (You may refrigerate the butter up to 3 days or freeze it).
- Season the steaks with the ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy cast-iron skillet over high heat until the oil begins to smoke.
- Add the steaks to the hot pan and sear on the first side for about 4 minutes.
- Turn over and sear on the other side for about 4 minutes for medium-rare.
- Cook 1 or 2 minutes longer on each side for medium.
- To serve:
- Remove the steaks from the pan and place in the center of warm serving plates.
- Cut 6 slices from the log of butter, each about ½ inch thick, and place 1 slice of the butter on each of the steaks.
- Serve immediately with a baked stuffed potato.