Get 4 FREE STEAKS on every shipment of $99 or more. Click for details
Stir-Fried Beef Top Sirloin with Ginger, Garlic, Chiles, and Bok Choy with Rice
- For the Beef:
- 1 ½ pounds beef top sirloin steaks (about ½ inch thick), Omaha Steaks
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- For the Rice:
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- Pinch of salt
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 1 pound bok choy
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced red jalapeno chile, or red serranos
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- Cut the beef into 2 x ¼ inch strips and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, sake, fish sauce, and cornstarch, stirring to combine.
- Marinate the beef in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice:
- Place the rice, 2 ¼ cups water, and the salt in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir once, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and season with salt before serving.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the stir-fry:
- Cut the bottom (stem end) and the outer leaves off the bok choy and discard.
- Cut the leaves lengthwise and then crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the beef from the bowl, add it to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute, until just browned. (To avoid overcrowding the wok, you may wish to do this in two or three batches.)
- Remove the beef from the wok and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil to the wok.
- When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and jalapeno, and stir-fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and scallions, and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the stems begin to soften.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in any remaining marinade, add the reserved stir-fry beef along with any juices that have been released from the meat, and toss gently to heat through.
- Make sure the marinade cooks for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with more soy sauce to taste and serve immediately with the rice.