Your Holiday Shopping just got easier... FREE SHIPPING on selected combos! Click for details
Canton Beef with Stir-Fried Vegetables and Mango
- For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- For the Beef:
- 1 pound top sirloin steaks, about 1 inch thick, cut into ½-inch strips about 2 to 3 inches long (Omaha Steaks).
- For the Rice:
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon scallions finely sliced on a diagonal
- For the Stir-Fry:
- 4 Chinese dried mushrooms or 8 fresh shiitakes, stemmed and sliced
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) peanut oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 carrot, cut in half lengthwise and sliced on a diagonal
- ¼ cup bamboo shoots, drained and julienned
- 2 scallions, sliced on a diagonal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and julienned
- To prepare the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the sliced steak and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Place the rice in a strainer under cold running water until the water no longer looks milky.
- Transfer the rice to a saucepan with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Stir once to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice stand for 10 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Fluff with a fork just before serving and garnish with the scallions.
- To prepare the stir-fry, rehydrate the mushrooms by soaking them in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze gently to remove the excess moisture. Remove the stalks and dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or deep skillet.
- Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry.
- Quickly stir-fry the beef in 2 or 3 batches over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until well browned on all side but rare or medium-rare inside.
- Remove the beef and keep warm.
- Wipe out the wok with a paper towel and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the diced mushrooms, bell pepper, carrot, bamboo shoots, and scallions, and stir-fry for a few seconds over high heat.
- Carefully add the water to steam the vegetables and stir until it has evaporated.
- Add the mango and reserved beef, warm through, and remove from the heat.
- To serve, spoon a bed of the rice onto warm serving plates and top with stir-fry.
- Serve immediately.