Your Holiday Shopping just got easier... FREE SHIPPING on selected combos! Click for details
Thai Beef Soup
with coconut, Lemongrass, and noodles
For the Beef Ingredients:
3 Omaha Steaks Flat Iron Steaks, cut across grain 1 inch long and 1/8 inch thick
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
For the Base Ingredients:
3 cans (14 ounces each) coconut milk
3 stalks lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed
3 tablespoons minced ginger
3 kaffir lime leaves, or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 stalk celery, diced (about ½ cup)
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced garlic
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 cup dry white wine
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
For the Vegetables and Noodles Ingredients:
3 Roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, finely sliced
3 scallions, finely sliced
1 carrot, finely sliced
5 ounces dry rice noodles (or jasmine rice noodles)
½ cup finely sliced basil
- Place the beef in a mixing bowl, add the soy sauce and sesame oil, and let marinate at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, or at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- To prepare the soup base, place the coconut milk in a large saucepan. Cut the lemongrass in half across and then in half lengthwise. Crush with the back of a heavy knife and add to the pan. Add the ginger, lime leaves, celery, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, wine, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil gently for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and let infuse, covered, while cooking the beef and vegetables.
- Heat a dry wok or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the beef and marinade and sear for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the beef is tender, browned, and the liquid has evaporated. Remove the beef and pat dry with paper towels.
- To prepare the vegetables, blanch the tomatoes in a small saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, and when cool enough to handle, peel, cut in half, and gently squeeze out the seeds. Dice the tomatoes and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan; add the onion, scallions, and carrot, and sauté over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Strain the coconut liquid into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the basil, blanched tomatoes, and cooked beef, and season to taste. Ladle into serving bowls.
|Think this sounds tasty? It is. And so are the more than 100 recipes in the Omaha Steaks Steak Time iPhone app. Download it from iTunes now.|