Get 4 FREE STEAKS on every shipment of $99 or more. Click for details
Porterhouse Steaks with German-Style Hash Brown Potatoes
- 1 hrPrep Time
- 15 minCook Time
Featured Omaha Steaks Product:
4 (18 oz.) T-Bone Steaks4 (18 oz.) T-Bone Steaks 1633WZH
Reg. $154.00 | Now Only $109.99
4 (24 oz.) Porterhouse Steaks4 (24 oz.) Porterhouse Steaks 1642WZH
Reg. $211.00 | Now Only $139.99
- 4 Omaha Steaks Porterhouse Steaks, about 16 ounces each
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large Idaho potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and prepare the grill (or, alternatively, the steaks can be broiled or sautéed in a heavy pan or skillet using 1 tablespoon of hot olive oil or safflower oil; they will take approximately the same time to cook as they will on the grill).
- To prepare the hash browns, peel and slice the potatoes into 1/2 inch strips.
- Place the strips in a bowl of cold water as they are cut to prevent them from oxidizing and browning.
- Drain and pat the potato strips dry.
- Pour the oil to a depth of 3/4 inch into a large, heavy cast-iron skillet and heat until close to boiling.
- Divide the potatoes into 3 batches and fry each batch separately; each batch should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels.
- When the potatoes have cooled, cut the strips into 1/4 inch dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a clean heavy skillet.
- When the oil is hot and begins to sizzle, add the chopped onions, paprika, and salt.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for 6 or 8 minutes, or until the onions start to soften and brown.
- Melt the butter in a large ovenproof pan or skillet.
- Add the potatoes and onions, and mix together well.
- Sauté over medium-high heat until browned and then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the steak, season the filets with salt and pepper.
- Grill for about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare or about 8 minutes per side for medium.
- Serve the steaks with the hash brown potatoes.