Your Holiday Shopping just got easier... FREE SHIPPING on selected combos! Click for details
Polynesian Kabobs:Pineapple-Marinated Beef Skewers with Cilantro Rice
89Recipe categories: Kabobs
- 1 hrMarinade Time
- 60 minPrep Time
- 10 minCook Time
Featured Omaha Steaks Product:
4 (10 oz.) Boneless Strips4 (10 oz.) Boneless Strips 593WZA
Reg. $112.00 I Now Only $69.99
IngredientsMarinade and Kabobs:
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 star anise, broken into pieces
- 1 serrano chile, with seeds, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless strip steak, Omaha Steaks, cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, quartered and then cut in half lengthwise
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- Pinch of salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers (preferably 12 inches long) in water for at least 10 minutes so they won't burn up on the grill, and then drain. (Alternatively, use metal skewers.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, sesame oil, star anise, serrano, salt, and pepper.
- Thread the beef pineapple, peppers, onions, and cherry tomatoes onto each skewer and lay them in a roasting pan.
- Any extra pineapple and vegetables can be threaded on skewers as well.
- Pour the marinade over the kabobs and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning occasionally if they are not fully immersed.
- About 30 minutes before serving, prepare the rice. Place the rice, 2-1/2 cups of water, and the salt in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir once, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, fluff with a fork, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill.
- Remove the kabobs from the marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and reduce until about 1 cup remains.
- Reserve half of the reduced marinade to pass at the table: use the rest while grilling.
- About 15 minutes before serving, grill the kabobs for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the peppers start to blacken.
- Brush the kabobs a few times with the reduced marinade as they cook.
- Discard the marinade used for brushing the meat.